Sunday, October 26, 2008

I tell you something that I've found, that the world's a better place when it's upside down

We've been watching a very large strawberry on this little plant for a while.
It just grew and grew and never seemed like it was going to turn red.
Well, of course, in the last couple of days, while we haven't been watching it, it has ripened.
And here it is... well 3/4 of it anyway.
G couldn't wait for me to get the camera before she tasted it.

And despite her face (her dramatic staging for the camera) she enjoyed it.
She enjoyed it so much no one else got to try it (in fairness she did offer it to Jamie, who doesn't like strawberries, and I can't eat them right now and Dan was in the shower, but it really did seem like in the blink of an eyelid she went through this process and devoured her first grown-by-her-very-little-self strawberry.)
There are at least 6 - 1o more growing in that little pot - which is proving to be a great way to grow them at the moment.
So we'll water, feed and wait for those ones too.
I have some hanging "edible" gardens growing too. (Georgie likes very happy flowers or things you can eat to be growing in the garden.)
We've got a tomato that is supposed to be growing upside down, but is heading up towards the sun, an upside down cucumber and 2 strawberry plants in the big basket. (I can't see how the strawberries are growing from my vantage point but the other day when I was feeding the basket I think I noticed quite a big crop up there too.)
And in the small basket 2 cucumber plants growing up top. (The kids love cucumber, I could fill the whole back yard with cucumber plants and I'm sure they'd eat the whole crop. There's a whole story about Georgie and cucumber on cruskits, suffice to say, if you have a packet of "original Cruskits" she likes her lunch to look exactly like the picture with the cucumber on it.)


No comments: