Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Watch this

http://www.storyofstuff.com/index.html

I think this is worth more than just thought. It takes 20 minutes to watch, and initially you want to click it of going 'yeah yeah yeah', it's not about global warming, although I guess the two go hand in hand. It's about 'Stuff'. Watch it before you read the rest of this or it won't make sense.

I think what she says is very valid and I'd like to change society's perception of a lot of things, but this 'must have bigger and better' often makes me feel very sad.

That said, you've seen the photos of the toys the kids have, and although they are not all new, and I try to make sure used toys go to good homes, they still have an extremely large amount of 'stuff'. I guess the first step starts with them... it's going to be hard, but I've already started some 'conscious consumption'.

I urge you to watch the movie and think about this topic too.

No comments: