Ok, if you care little about photography except for having a good old squizz at someone else's life then you will probably still be wondering at the end of this post, what I'm so happy about.
For my birthday Dan gave me some money, because at that stage of my life I wanted to get a new sewing machine. Although it was a nice *big* present I would have needed another three and a half birthdays to get the machine I was looking at, so I put that plan on hold.
Then some time, some where this year I just got really interested in photography again - I never actually lost interest, I've just been doing a lot of reading and learning to expand my skills this year.
I decided, probably about a month ago, that I would like to get a new lense (well I'd like several, but the cost of some of them are on par with the sewing machine!) and I've spent the rest of the month doing research.
So by now it's nearly closer to my next birthday than the last, but finally, finally it arrived today. Actually I ordered it yesterday, so that's pretty good if you ask me. (Oh and I ordered a few more little odds and ends with it ;o) but that's just between you and me.)
Here it is....

Yep, a Canon 50mm f1.4 USM lense.
It's fast, a lot faster than I've been using. It's also a lot smaller than I've been using and it's a prime lense - I'm still getting used to not trying to zoom it.
So by now, you're all yawning and going yep, yep a new lense.
But I just want you to appreciate this lense, and ok it's not as fast as it could be, but I couldn't afford the extra $1000 to go to a 1.2!
I managed to shoot off 169 photos in about 10 minutes tonight. :o) this lense is going to get soooo much use.
If only it took me 10 minutes to edit 169 photos (I did throw a bunch of them about but there's probably about 140 left). Here's an example of what this lovely new little lense can do...

I didn't use flash on either of these shots, and I love the shallow depth of field and bokeh.
(If you're wondering, Georgie split her lip in a bit of an accident at kindy today, it all happened while Gorje their music man was there and they were running round to the music. Even though there was a lot of blood, she picked herself up, got her lip cleaned up, finished off an iceblock and kept going. She is an absolute trooper when it comes to pain and bleeding... I think she's more fascinated by it than she is mortified by it. But today's result is a bit of a swollen lip.)
And here they are, the dynamic duo.
PS if none of this makes sense and there are more mistakes than usual, apologies I seem to be incredibly tired and one of my eyes isn't working properly. :o) nothing a good 48 hours sleep wouldn't fix.
1 comment:
nice one!!!! my husband pinches my good lenses - anyway, I find people don't get all shy with my little camera. my big one stays in its bag most of the time. sigh, what a waste
xo
Post a Comment