I found a gingerbread train as I was doing my Christmas shopping last December.
I took it home and two of the household occupants spent every day after that asking me when we would make it up.
Lesson learnt, don't buy it if you aren't going to make it the next day, hiding it won't work, children have vision like an eagle hunting down prey, apart from when you ask them to pick the toy up from the middle of the floor then they can't see a thing.
...anyway....
we took the kit down to the farm for Christmas, and still I didn't make it.
Finally I made it, a week after Christmas and probably a month after I'd bought it.
But at last I was the best person in the world.
Except that trying to stick a gingerbread train together with icing, when it's 35+degrees, is not a good idea.
We stuck things together as best we could - the kids loved it. It didn't matter to them that it was a bit wonky, they had a wonderful time.
We put it in the fridge to let the icing set.
And then one night I got it out of the fridge, for dessert.
Oh joy, oh rapture. :o))
Great craftsmanship showing here. Ok, so they were just more interested in decorating the thing with lollies.

Ready, set, go..... it was a race to get the lollies off.



James did eat some of the gingerbread - he loves gingerbread, but once the lollies and the little iced biscuits were gone (after several train stops of course, I didn't let them scoff it in one sitting) I helped the train to its resting place in 'Tid-bin sheds'.
Would I do it all again? Of course, the final excitement was worth the months of nagging.
I took it home and two of the household occupants spent every day after that asking me when we would make it up.
Lesson learnt, don't buy it if you aren't going to make it the next day, hiding it won't work, children have vision like an eagle hunting down prey, apart from when you ask them to pick the toy up from the middle of the floor then they can't see a thing.
...anyway....
we took the kit down to the farm for Christmas, and still I didn't make it.
Finally I made it, a week after Christmas and probably a month after I'd bought it.
But at last I was the best person in the world.
Except that trying to stick a gingerbread train together with icing, when it's 35+degrees, is not a good idea.
We stuck things together as best we could - the kids loved it. It didn't matter to them that it was a bit wonky, they had a wonderful time.
We put it in the fridge to let the icing set.
And then one night I got it out of the fridge, for dessert.
Oh joy, oh rapture. :o))
Great craftsmanship showing here. Ok, so they were just more interested in decorating the thing with lollies.
Ready, set, go..... it was a race to get the lollies off.


James did eat some of the gingerbread - he loves gingerbread, but once the lollies and the little iced biscuits were gone (after several train stops of course, I didn't let them scoff it in one sitting) I helped the train to its resting place in 'Tid-bin sheds'.
Would I do it all again? Of course, the final excitement was worth the months of nagging.
No comments:
Post a Comment