Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Windy roads, whingy children and a mongoose or two


Yesterday was an interesting day.
We (well I really) decided we should do the famous 'Road to Hana' trip. hmmmmmm
We didn't get moving until fairly late in the day and stopped to have lunch at Paia and by the time we started off it was about 1ish. Too late really. But hey, what did we know? Did we know it was 36miles of very windy, often steep, sometimes one laned roads? Nope.
Did we know that Georgie had eaten some food earlier that day that would turn here into a terrible little beast that we would rather leave by the side of the road than take with us? Nope.
Did we think that we could get there and back easily if we stopped at one or two things? Yep.
So hopelessly deluded off we went.
I know how much you really want to see a zillion photos of beautiful scenery :o) so here they are.
And yes, if you're wondering, it does really look like that. (I took about 270 photos yesterday)
Caught this guy just taking off on his parasail thingy (the technical name, I'm such a surfer chick which is why I'm bright white and everyone else has a lovely tan)

Shark bait.
Now this guy was funny. We were sitting in the car and Dan was off getting G a shaved ice to try and calm her down (didn't work) and this guy stood on the back of his ute chainsawing this log. He poked and prodded it with two different chainsaws, turned it over and sort of prodded it again. Mum's comment was that if he chopped his leg off we were just going to drive off. Anyway he sort of finished his chainsawing, stuck his chainsaw down into the middle of the log (think King Arthur and Excalibur) and then proceeded to secure a rope across the load, using the inserted chainsaw as an achor point.
We stopped at one point and went looking for some waterfalls. On the way we found a group of boys (American) who'd found this little guy down in the water. He's a chameleon. Kind of funky isn't he? Better than a waterfall - which we didn't end up walking too, anyway.
Explorer Georgie and her special walking stick. She was in charge of finding our way back. We found pineapples, coconuts and bananas and some huge plants growing round this track. Another view point. This is the north side of the island. High rainfall, lush growth.






I haven't bought too many postcards, which if you ask Dan is nothing short of amazing as I tend to collect postcards where ever I go, but I haven't liked the cards as much as some of the photos I've taken.


A little bridge on the windy trail. It doesn't say Give Way, it's "Yield" over here. And although the one on the other side says "Give way to oncoming traffic" as well, people just plough through. We think it's "the first person with their tyres over the line just keeps racing through". An intersting, sometimes hairy, philosophy.
The littlest one right down the back.
While we were stopped we often saw these little creatures that looked a little like a weasel/ferret. We've since discovered they are mongoose. Also there were a lot of ferral cats and chickens around. Strange but true.
The black beach - Wai'anapanapa (yep I can't pronounce it either, we called it "The Black Beach")







The rocks at the top of the beach were quite big and they got smaller until they became tiny grains of sand. It hurt my feet to walk on the stones, G managed well though.


Both kids loved the beach. G likes to sit on the sand and play - she's not too fond of going in the water, and J loves all of it.

A bit hard to catch him in action but he kept jumping up and down stamping his feet joyously on the sand. He loved the water tickling his feet too.




We would have loved to take some black pebbles with us, but some say the Volcano Goddess (or someone like that) has put a curse on everything that belongs to her, so if you take it off the island it will bring you bad luck. We're not going to risk it.

Jamie having a play with Grandma's earring.

Whatchya doing G?
Making a sandcastle Mummy.
Oh right....


I have some fantastic artsy photos like this, but I won't subject you to them.... well not yet anyway.



Well that's all for the photos right now. It's time to tidy up while the others go to the beach. (I'm here with Jamie preserving my lovely white skin.) We're off to go shopping again today - it's pretty much our last day here. I haven't really bought anything 'souveneir like' but I have some super photos so that might have to do. We've found price wise, most things are equivalent in price to Australia, maybe a little more expensive because of delivery to the island.
We'll see you all pretty soon.
Aloha....

No comments: