We had torrential rain the other day and it all came down quite quickly.
The consequence of this is that storm water drains had massive amounts of water come through them quickly.
Previously this has been a problem in our area as the Golf Course that is at the end of our street (4 houses down the street) used to flood quite badly sending water everywhere (we're at sea level close to mangroves). They fixed this - after a dead body washed down the storm water drain into the golf course. However the other day the water was quite strong and one of the storm water overflows did just that... all the way down our street.
While it didn't flood the road completely, we did have a serious amount of water rushing through the gutters.
When I came home from picking up G from school I had to park up in front of the house next door to us (Granma visiting meant an overflow of cars) but while I was pulling in I noticed something in the gutter which I immediately thought was a turtle. Odd, but I decided I wouldn't run over whatever it was and would have a look.
My eyes weren't playing tricks on me, it was a turtle and more than likely an Eastern Long-necked turtle. A big one too.
He definitely wasn't there in the morning as I'd moved Mum's car from that exact position earlier.
G was all excited, she's still in her Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle phase.
Dan (who was home early because he was still harbouring a cold) rang Wires to see what we should do. We ended up with a turtle in a box for a night (two as it turned out) to let it dry out a bit before we rehoused it.
So meet Jellybean - who stayed on our back veranda for a couple of nights (and on the second night got a very nice feed of Australian Blackworms - and while we didn't see him eat them, he didn't leave any from three big blobs of dried worms!).
The kids were taken with it... it was actually quite active in the box and the kids kept popping in and out the door to check on it.





Wires were going to come round and collect it, but Dan got a call saying we could return it (we suggested it didn't belong on the golf course) and we needed to find an area that was a bit scrubby with access to water. (These turtles live in the scrub and then get in the water for food.) I wondered where that would be, but when I checked the map a bit further up from the golf course was the scrubby little park Jellybean would have been washed out of so we put him back there this morning.
Georgie and James handled it quite well, both with lots of goodbyes to our smelly friend, it was nice to have him visit but I'm glad he's back where he should be.
The consequence of this is that storm water drains had massive amounts of water come through them quickly.
Previously this has been a problem in our area as the Golf Course that is at the end of our street (4 houses down the street) used to flood quite badly sending water everywhere (we're at sea level close to mangroves). They fixed this - after a dead body washed down the storm water drain into the golf course. However the other day the water was quite strong and one of the storm water overflows did just that... all the way down our street.
While it didn't flood the road completely, we did have a serious amount of water rushing through the gutters.
When I came home from picking up G from school I had to park up in front of the house next door to us (Granma visiting meant an overflow of cars) but while I was pulling in I noticed something in the gutter which I immediately thought was a turtle. Odd, but I decided I wouldn't run over whatever it was and would have a look.
My eyes weren't playing tricks on me, it was a turtle and more than likely an Eastern Long-necked turtle. A big one too.
He definitely wasn't there in the morning as I'd moved Mum's car from that exact position earlier.
G was all excited, she's still in her Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle phase.
Dan (who was home early because he was still harbouring a cold) rang Wires to see what we should do. We ended up with a turtle in a box for a night (two as it turned out) to let it dry out a bit before we rehoused it.
So meet Jellybean - who stayed on our back veranda for a couple of nights (and on the second night got a very nice feed of Australian Blackworms - and while we didn't see him eat them, he didn't leave any from three big blobs of dried worms!).
The kids were taken with it... it was actually quite active in the box and the kids kept popping in and out the door to check on it.




Wires were going to come round and collect it, but Dan got a call saying we could return it (we suggested it didn't belong on the golf course) and we needed to find an area that was a bit scrubby with access to water. (These turtles live in the scrub and then get in the water for food.) I wondered where that would be, but when I checked the map a bit further up from the golf course was the scrubby little park Jellybean would have been washed out of so we put him back there this morning.
Georgie and James handled it quite well, both with lots of goodbyes to our smelly friend, it was nice to have him visit but I'm glad he's back where he should be.
No comments:
Post a Comment