It's been a rocky week and a half.
When we got off the plane we both developed colds. Dan's turned into infected tonsillitis, but mine was a sore throat (we both had razor blades in our throats) and pains in my kidneys.
I thought I was taking a turn for the better on the weekend, it was all under control with a bit of panadol, so I spent some time in the gardening clearing out weeds.
Saturday night arrived and I sat bolt upright with a very aggressive pain in my ear. I thought it was just another part of the cold and headed downstairs to let the tv (and pain killers) distract me.
Four hours and much stronger pain killers, later I was in tears. This was serious pain. Dan got up early (sore throat bothering him) and helped me make it through to when the medical centre would be open - we'd go and get me some antibiotics.
So we did. But by Sunday night I was at the hospital, the pain was unbearable, I'd maxed out on painkillers and my ear was bleeding. All they could tell me was it was an external ear infection and would clear up with the antibiotics soon enough. (The kids went to Nanna and Pop's)
Dan was due to fly to Perth for a week, come Monday morning. When he got up I was feeling all right (erm, yep, still the pain killers in the system) so he went. I left the kids where they were and got into my GP. Barely managing to get there she put me on stronger antibiotics and knocked me out with painkillers.
So this was a week ago. I'm still deaf in my ear, although I am managing every day functions.
In the mean time Mum had to make a flying trip back from Canberra (Tim as in hospital having his broken nose reset - don't ask) to look after me and the kids, who needed to come home.
I've been to see the Ear, Nose and Throat specialist (the very nice Doctor who took G's tonsils out a couple of years ago) and he's tried to take out some gunk, which lead to the conclusion that I also have a middle ear infection. This explains why I've been so dizzy as well. I'm on even more antibiotics and cortisone tablets to try and clear it all up. The bacteria is very resistant to antibiotics, it's all happening very slowly.
Right now I'm managing pain with panadol and listening to the little people in that ear who have the strangest conversations (I'm hoping it means the ear is getting better, but really it sounds like a modem running). I finally feel like I can get on with a few things so have actually managed to upload the photos from the trip. Editing the 600 photos sitting there, now that's another issue. Maybe when Georgie goes back to school, I'll put it on the list with the other million things to do.
When we got off the plane we both developed colds. Dan's turned into infected tonsillitis, but mine was a sore throat (we both had razor blades in our throats) and pains in my kidneys.
I thought I was taking a turn for the better on the weekend, it was all under control with a bit of panadol, so I spent some time in the gardening clearing out weeds.
Saturday night arrived and I sat bolt upright with a very aggressive pain in my ear. I thought it was just another part of the cold and headed downstairs to let the tv (and pain killers) distract me.
Four hours and much stronger pain killers, later I was in tears. This was serious pain. Dan got up early (sore throat bothering him) and helped me make it through to when the medical centre would be open - we'd go and get me some antibiotics.
So we did. But by Sunday night I was at the hospital, the pain was unbearable, I'd maxed out on painkillers and my ear was bleeding. All they could tell me was it was an external ear infection and would clear up with the antibiotics soon enough. (The kids went to Nanna and Pop's)
Dan was due to fly to Perth for a week, come Monday morning. When he got up I was feeling all right (erm, yep, still the pain killers in the system) so he went. I left the kids where they were and got into my GP. Barely managing to get there she put me on stronger antibiotics and knocked me out with painkillers.
So this was a week ago. I'm still deaf in my ear, although I am managing every day functions.
In the mean time Mum had to make a flying trip back from Canberra (Tim as in hospital having his broken nose reset - don't ask) to look after me and the kids, who needed to come home.
I've been to see the Ear, Nose and Throat specialist (the very nice Doctor who took G's tonsils out a couple of years ago) and he's tried to take out some gunk, which lead to the conclusion that I also have a middle ear infection. This explains why I've been so dizzy as well. I'm on even more antibiotics and cortisone tablets to try and clear it all up. The bacteria is very resistant to antibiotics, it's all happening very slowly.
Right now I'm managing pain with panadol and listening to the little people in that ear who have the strangest conversations (I'm hoping it means the ear is getting better, but really it sounds like a modem running). I finally feel like I can get on with a few things so have actually managed to upload the photos from the trip. Editing the 600 photos sitting there, now that's another issue. Maybe when Georgie goes back to school, I'll put it on the list with the other million things to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment