Sunday, April 26, 2009

Birthdays Happen

It couldn't be helped. Georgie's birthday fell right in the middle of our trip to Naples. We couldn't leave late, we couldn't rush back, none of it would make any difference.
What to do.
5 is an important age to anyone turning 5.
I had planned on leaving a big pile of presents for her birthday, but then decided that I'd like to see her enjoy them (or at least be able to get her playing on them) before we left, so I planned a little surprise present day the weekend before we flew out.

She didn't know, and wasn't expecting it, so for once, was surprised by the sight of presents. (Forgive the state of the living room, I was collecting everything to pre-pack that weekend, all the clothes were out to try on)

She's excited - she has no idea what she's getting. (Yeah well, if I keep saying that to myself I might believe it.)

So she knows now, because instead of opening the BIG present like every other person on Earth would, she opens the little one, which is a DS game.

The game didn't last long... she knew what to look for in the big present after that.

Oh yeah baby, a pink Nintendo DS. Bring it on.
(She'd asked for this and we'd ummmed and ahhhed. The conversation went something like this
Dan: What else does she want?
Me: A pet rabbit
Dan: So a DS it is.
)
I'd had it charging so she could play it right away - not sure Granma would be up on DS technology so thought she might need a lesson before we went away.

She figured there were more games floating around. This one is from James.

That's him. His big sister's biggest fan. I know, he just looks so grown up and so cute right?
(By the way Dad, he now wants a DS for his second birthday)
Hello Buddy.
He was happy to let her unwrap things.
But he was still curious.

He has a love of anything that remotely resembles a DVD so he pounced on the game boxes looking for DVD's... which they're not, but the still have little books in them you can rip out.


The 'let me show you what to do conversation'.
Dan: Georgie, I'll show you what to do
Georgie: *rolling eyes* Daaaad, I already know what to do.

(She is getting a lecture on the stylus here and that she shouldn't lose it, to which she instantly pointed out there was another one anyway. hmmm)
She *loves-loves-LOVES* the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at the moment.
I've spent months trying to find a TMNT Wii game. When I found this DS game at Target the DS deal was sealed (in fact I bought that before the DS, which Dan had to buy from Armidale as the BigW's in Sydney had run out.. and yes it's just the old DS version, we decided a 5 year old didn't need all the new features, and by the time she did technology would be inbuilt to their arm or something)
This photo is just the pure *joy* of getting the Turtles.
This photo is a 'now do a nice photo for me'

So you can guess what happened then......
ummm G, look up sweetie...
Gidge???
*sigh* she's 5 and completely lost to the world of technology.
(By the way, the other game she got that day was a Build A Bear game - just like you make them at the shops, but in a DS game. I'd also lined up a few more game from others. The one she seems to keep going back to at the moment is a cooking game. Dora is on the back burner, the teddies come out occasionally and the TMNT's are a regular. She is extremely proficient at it, if only I could get her to put them away properly)
Cake time.
"Dad, is she going to put that thing down? I want to take it when she's not looking"
"Sorry Buddy, probably not until the batteries go flat"

Oh yes, and we're singing Happy Birthday to her here...
...and here...
... and here...

and here she was told to blow out the candles or the DS would go back in the box.
He thought he'd sample one of the butterfly sprinkle decorations.
But even with a DS in her hands she can still keep an eye on him.
My turn for a photo.



She's still got the 'photograph smile' plastered on her face.. the little minx.
Cutting the cake - look you can take both hands off your DS and it won't disappear.
Well he was interested in the cake.

And she eventually decided she wanted cream and cake (in that order).
Wondering what he's doing?
Making himself a birthday cake of course.
We had to sing and blow the candle out at least three times. He loved it.
She was busy building a bear.

1 comment:

runa said...

Too cute,too sweet,too fun and too perfect pics.