Saturday, March 05, 2011

A costume for a special day at school

Sometimes you get notes home from school for 'days' that are going on and you wonder just what on earth you are going to do.
This was one such day.
The kids were studying 'the olden days' or something like that and the note ran along the lines of dressing up in Australiana examples were gumnut babies, bushrangers, cowboys (erm, jackeroos maybe but cowboys? that's pushing it), 'olden day clothes'. Stuff like that. Hmmm.
Not the kind of dress ups we had in the cupboard.

I did have an idea though. A simple a-line skirt out of some sort of bland material and an apron + a cap should turn her into an olden day child (well sort of).

Of course Georgie wanted pink and purple material with flowers all over it. When I told her they probably didn't wear that in the olden days she wanted to know why not and what would they wear to a party if it wasn't fancy clothes like that. I was thinking more along the lines of brown but she wouldn't come at that (brown! who would ever think of wearing brown?????!!!!)

Thankfully, when I dropped in at Spotlight, they had some dull purple cord on special. (I also grabbed some calico and a little bit of fancy stuff for decoration.)
I took basic measurements and cut a simple pattern.
Add her school skivvy and school shoes and voila! we're back in the olden days.

Thankfully the skirt was too long when I first made it so I shaped the back so that it was longer than the front. (By the way, this works well if you're walking forward but that's about it! Not good when you're going to play olden day games for the morning.)











She won a prize at school for the costume - people couldn't believe I sewed it. (Really, it wasn't *that* hard.) Actually it was a bit chilly on the day and she wore a little jacket I had crocheted as well and it just made the outfit feel more genuine.
I think she looks cute and the costume is now in the dress up box.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This costume is great! My daughter who is in grade 2 came home with a notice on Friday to dress up in olden day clothes next week and on the notice was some photos as costume examples including your daughter and her fantastic costume! I'm no sewer but after Googling and finding this page, you've given me some great ideas!!